Afternoon Cookery Classes begin at 2PM, however please try to be at cookery school for 1:45PM.
Guests will get a copy of all recipes and tastings of all dishes at the end of the demonstration. Please note you will be joining our main student body for this demonstration.
Details of Recipes to be demonstrated are published approximately 2 weeks in Advance.
The beauty of this five-day course is its versatility, as the recipes and new techniques you’ll learn, alongside the business insight you’ll gain, can be used in numerous ways. Originally designed for food lovers eager to start their own café or teashop, this course is also proving invaluable to existing café owners eager to refresh their menu. It’s also popular with those starting a catering business or making homemade food to sell at farmers markets.
What you’ll learn
- How to make a wide variety of savoury and sweet deliciousness: soda bread, yeast bread, pastry, salads, dressings, tarts, soups, cakes, biscuits, meringues, scones, slices, jams and preserves
- Ways to bring exciting, eclectic flavours to your menu
- Where to source the best ingredients
- Inspiration from Cafes all over the world.
- Business essentials for starting and running a café or teashop
- A tour of the organic farm, gardens, dairy and greenhouses, which provide much of the seasonal produce you’ll be cooking with
- Five demonstration sessions, showing how dishes are prepared from scratch, with overhead mirrors and two monitors showing close-up handiwork. Teachers share a wealth of knowledge through their expert tips and techniques. Students can ask questions and have the opportunity to taste the dishes prepared at the end of the sessions
- Three practical, hands-on sessions in the kitchens, where you can cook 2-4 dishes from each demonstration. With a high teacher to student ratio of 1:6, there’s plenty of support and guidance while you master the recipes, learn to make the most of your ingredients and gain a deeper learning experience. Let your teacher know if there are specific techniques you’d like to master, as seen in the demonstrations
- A crucial full-day session with food business consultant Blathnaid Bergin, detailing essential costs, profit management advice and the reality of running a successful, high quality café, teashop or food start-up.
Good to know
- Breakfast and lunch included; eat alongside fellow students, our teachers and gardeners
- It is often possible if you wish to watch the cows being milked, the sourdough loaves being made and help gather produce for the days cooking with the gardeners
- A pack of the recipes will be provided for your ongoing reference
- Accommodation available within our grounds and close by
The prestigious Ballymaloe 12 WeekCertificate Course is run three times a year, with courses beginning in January,April or May, and September.
The course is aimed at anyone with a passionate interest in food. Many of our students use the course as a springboard to become a professional chef; others use it to equip themselves with a marketable skill.
Others still take the course simply to maximize the pleasure they get from cooking at home.
Students develop a deep and detailed understanding of food and how it is produced. The emphasis is on recognising the best ingredients and knowing how to showcase them.