Afternoon Cookery Classes begin at 2PM, however please try to be at cookery school for 1:45PM.
Guests will get a copy of all recipes and tastings of all dishes at the end of the demonstration. Please note you will be joining our main student body for this demonstration.
Details of Recipes to be demonstrated are published approximately 2 weeks in Advance.
Our exciting Just Cook It practical half-day courses have a real cult following - and for very good reason. This super afternoon class offers the opportunity for hands-on learning, new food adventures and great fun in the kitchen.
Start by arriving at the school for tea or coffee, some homemade treats and a chat with your fellow students. Then (weather permitting) we proceed on a short walk around our formal herb and vegetable gardens and through the greenhouses to see where many essential ingredients are grown.
After returning to the cookery school, you will watch a short demonstration from one of our expert teachers who will show you a range of tips and tricks that you can use to enhance any meal. Now it’s time to don your own apron and head into our well-equipped kitchens. There, working with your fellow classmates and with the help of our experienced tutors, you will make many of the items you watched being demonstrated.
Finally, after all the hard work, comes the reward! At the end of the afternoon, everyone gets to sit down together around the table and enjoy the fruits of their labour over a convivial dinner. Join us on this short course to learn practical skills, discover new recipes and gain more kitchen confidence in the inimitable warm and friendly setting of Ballymaloe Cookery School.
Feedback from Previous Students on this course
“This was a wonderful experience for the four of us. We haven't stopped smiling as we loved everything about the afternoon. We have bought a smoker so will be making hot oak smoked salmon this weekend. Can't wait! Thank you so much, we will be coming back.”
“Absolutely fabulous experience. Everyone was so friendly and welcoming and the staff showed great knowledge of food, nutrition skills and dishes. The Cookery School has a warm homely feel and is a thoroughly enjoyable experience regardless of cooking ability.”
What you’ll learn
• Great recipes to expand your repertoire, including bread, starters, salads, dressings, mains and puddings
• A variety of essential techniques you’ll use again and again
• Tips for forward planning and saving time
• A tour of the organic farm, gardens, dairy and greenhouses, which provide much of the seasonal produce you’ll be cooking with. Make sure you are wearing proper shoes
• A short demonstration of the essential techniques to get you started, with your teacher sharing a wealth of knowledge through their expert tips
• A practical, fun and hands-on session in the kitchen. Ingredients are ready for you to prep and there’s plenty of support and guidance while you master the recipes, learn to make the most of your ingredients and gain a deeper learning experience
• A relaxed informal dinner where you’ll enjoy the fruits of your labour
Good to know
The prestigious Ballymaloe 12 WeekCertificate Course is run three times a year, with courses beginning in January,April or May, and September.
The course is aimed at anyone with a passionate interest in food. Many of our students use the course as a springboard to become a professional chef; others use it to equip themselves with a marketable skill.
Others still take the course simply to maximize the pleasure they get from cooking at home.
Students develop a deep and detailed understanding of food and how it is produced. The emphasis is on recognising the best ingredients and knowing how to showcase them.